Happy Release Day, y’all! We are super duper excited for this particular release day because we’ve got TWO incredible patterns to share! Trust us when we say that they’re great staples and will be perfect if you’re looking for something to wear to all of the holiday parties that are coming up.
Let’s get to talking about the Sophia Pencil Skirt and Bacall Bodysuit!
Both patterns are drafted to our Adult – Hourglass size chart, extending from XXS – Plus 5X.
- *Want to learn more about how to measure yourself for these pattern? We’ve got you covered with an in-depth blog HERE. And for even more helpful fun, we have a free* printable that you can use to help record your measurements as you take them.
- And in case you’re new to Patterns for Pirates and PDF patterns in general, we have a great blog full of new-user tips HERE to help you get started!
- As with all of our current releases and updates, the pdfs now include our layers feature and can be found in Letter, A4, A0 and projector sizes.
- We’ve also got an excellent planning tool for you with our Coloring Pages. It’s a resource that is updated with every new pattern addition, this pattern included!
While the two patterns pair incredibly well together, they really (truly) stand up on their own. So let’s go ahead and talk about each one separately…starting with the Sophia Pencil Skirt!
The Sophia Pencil Skirt is a classic wardrobe staple. Named for the actress Sophia Loren, we hope you feel just as stunning as she always looks when wearing it. You can use any bottom-weight woven, non-stretch fabric for this timeless pattern.
The pattern is fitted tight at the natural waist and body skimming through high hip and hip in comes in slightly at thigh, but has room to comfortably walk if you decide to not make the slitted option. You can make anything from a business appropriate skirt to a fun party mini with this pattern! Choose from no slits for a simple version, add one front thigh slit for some fun or double slits for double the fun. All options are fully lined with a back center zipper. You can sew up a skirt with a plain, no waistband solid look or opt for the waistband to highlight the waist area.
Pattern options for the Sophia Pencil Skirt include:
- Multiple Lengths: Micro Mini / Mini / Above Knee / Knee
- Waistband / No Waistband
- Plain Hem / Slit / Double Slit
- Back Center Zipper
- Fully Lined
The Sophia Pencil Skirt pattern is drafted for bottom-weight woven, non-stretch fabrics. Bottom-weight fabrics means medium to heavier weight fabrics that are more durable, meant to withstand sitting, bending, etc.
Specific Fabric Suggestions: Heavy Flannel, Suiting, Tweed, Denim, Suede, Corduroy.
Specialty Suggestions: Velvet, Sequin, Satin, Pleather, etc.
Let’s take a quick walk through the different options!
LENGTHS (MICRO MINI / MINI / ABOVE KNEE / KNEE)
WAISTBAND / NO WAISTBAND
PLAIN HEM / SLIT / DOUBLE SLIT
The Bacall Bodysuit, named for the iconic Lauren Bacall is a classic look that will make you feel like a million bucks (who loves the movie How to Marry a Millionaire? ) .
This pattern features a tight fit throughout to create a perfect base layer for going under all your bottoms and top layering pieces too. It has a crew neckline with several options for finishing with lining, a neckband, mock turtleneck or classic turtleneck. The sleeve options are also somewhat endless with tank (lined or bands finish), fitted sleeves with several lengths and also a gathered sleeve with several lengths.
You can take this bodysuit from summer to winter very easily with options and fabric choice. You can also sew in a bra with the shelf bra option included in the fully lined option. The lining is drafted slightly snugger at the underbust and through the waist to help the shelf bra support bust. You can create a crop or bodysuit with a thong or brief bottom. All bodysuits are finished with a hook and eye closure towards the front of the body for easy on/off.
Pattern options for the Bacall Bodysuit include:
- Sleeves: Tank Un-Lined / Tank- Lined / Fitted Short Sleeve / Fitted 3/4 Sleeve / Fitted Long Sleeve with Cuff / Fitted Long Sleeve Hemmed / Gathered Short Sleeve / Gathered Half Sleeve / Gathered Long Bishop Sleeve
- Neckline Finishes: Lined / Crew Neckband / Mock Turtleneck / Turtleneck
- Lengths: Crop / Thong Bodysuit / Brief Bodysuit
- Fully Lined / Un-Lined
- All Bodysuits Finish with Hook and Eye Closure
The Bacall Bodysuit pattern is drafted for high stretch knit fabrics that stretch both horizontally and vertically. Spandex blends are best, so they don’t stretch out and get loose throughout the day.
Specific Fabric Suggestions: Double Brushed Poly, Yarn Dyed Ribbed Knits, Yummy Rib Knit, Rayon Rib Knits, Modal/Bamboo/Rayon Spandex Jerseys, Cotton Spandex, Sweater Knits, etc.
Of course, let’s check a few of the options available in the pattern!
MULTIPLE SLEEVE OPTIONS (TANK, SHORT, 3/4, LONG…FITTED OR GATHERED!)
NECKLINES: LINED CREW / CREW / MOCK TURTLENECK / TURTLENECK
LENGTHS: CROP / THONG BODYSUIT / BREIF BODYSUIT
We are thrilled to see what you sew for yourself using the Bacall Bodysuit + Sophia Pencil Skirt patterns! They are available on sale (no code needed) through 11:59pm CST, December 12, 2023.
As always, we’ve got more photos for you to use as inspiration! Head over to the Facebook group to browse our albums full of gorgeous photos, compliments of our tester team!
But wait, there’s more! We have an Easy Hacks blog post for the Sophia Pencil Skirt pattern — helping you take that pattern a little further!